Thursday, November 25, 2004

Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving, I am writing a postitive entry, since the last entry was a little "curmudgeonly". In the spirit of the day, here is a list of 3 things I am thankful for today:

1) Family and Friends: Certainly on top of any list of thankful things, people are number one. It has been a pretty stressful and "game-changing" year for Frank and I, and I for one am very grateful for the support that we have received from everyone this year. Also, perhaps it is living far away that does it, but everytime we get a chance to talk to our loved ones is so much more appreciated, I think.

2) The beauty of Alaska: I am grateful to be living here. Sure, it is far away during holidays, but the beauty that surrounds us is magical. Yesterday, we had a beautiful peachy-to-hot pink sunset followed by an almost full moon up over the mountains, making the moonrise almost as dramatic as the sunset. The moon when we came back to the house last night was shining so bright it was casting moonshadows through the back door. This morning, I am thankful for the dusting of snow that we got, which covers the icy roads and gives me hope that we can take our ski lessons next week. I am thankful for the relatively mild weather here -- tornadoes are nonexistent, and lightning is so rare that it makes headlines in the newspaper.

3) I'm thankful for community: Despite my silly attempts at humor, Anchorage is a pretty cool town to live in. It's a funky mix between an Alaskan Lake Wobegon and a large city. To see the entire borough come out to not only see the Great Alaskan Shootout but to actively participate by hosting schools, supplying pep bands, cheerleaders, and halftime entertainment is huge.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving to our far-flung Friends and Family! I hear that the weather is rather unpleasant in the midwest in some areas, so take care!

No comments: