Saturday, July 31, 2004

Saturday Update

Yesterday was a mixed bag. The biggest bummer of the day was that the unpackers did not show up -- since the telephone company confused our phone lines, they called us on the wrong numbers and therefore did not schedule us for yesterday. So, we are once again left with boxes throughout our house and a lot of work ahead of us.

We got Frank's computer working yesterday, which was great. It was more difficult than it sounds. We needed a wireless network adapter for the computer, which we had bought, but unfortunately Windows ME is apparently really bad at binding new adapters to TCP/IP. So after a few tries with customer support for linksys (first time some guy hung up on me, the second time they just told me it was not their problem), I finally just blew away the dial up adapter and suddenly things worked great. Apparently Windows ME only can bind a certain number of things to TCP/IP at a time or something. I'm not asking too many questions, just happy that it works.

We're learning a lot about our new home. Believe it or not, it is a bit chilly here. At 5am, the rooms downstairs (where the offices are) are very cold...I've worn my new norwegian sweater once and a sweater/jacket combo already. I can't imagine what it will be like when it is winter -- I'll have to wear gloves and my down coat I guess :).

The neighborhood is great -- teaming with kids playing on the street and dogs. Galileo has already made incredible amounts of kid friends -- they actually ring our doorbell to see if he can come out and play :).

The weather is funny, because you can look over to the mountains and pretty much know what is going to happen in an hour or so. Plus, no big monsoons, just drizzles of rain and sun, so rainbows are all over the place. There was one yesterday that appeared right over our house, which I thought was a good sign :).

No comments: