Monday, October 10, 2005

Tenure

There's been a few people that have checked over here after I made some comments on Daniel Drezner's post about being denied tenure at UofC, so I thought I'd clarify a bit more.

For the record, I've never talked about the situation on my blog, mainly because I believe that the move to Alaska really was the start of a more positive chapter in our lives. The other reason I don't talk about it here, is that although it affected me, as a non-member of academia it's hard for me to really discuss from experience. On the other hand, it makes me madder than heck when I hear of someone being blindsided by their tenure committee, which is where my comments came from.

I will say this: There is life after being denied tenure. This is proven over and over again by countless experiences of many academics. I believe getting out of the school as fast as you can is a good thing, and being straightforward about your situation to potential new employers also is to your benefit.

In our case, UAA is a much better fit for us than "the other university" was.

Please, send good vibes to Daniel Drezner!

No comments: