Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"If I were them, I would hide the fact that I was from Fairbanks too"

UAF sheds their Fairbanks moniker and attempts to become THE University of Alaska, like THE Ohio State University or THE University of Michigan by renaming their sports teams. Considering University of Alaska Anchorage has twice the number of students and is located in the state's biggest city, it's a pretty sad marketing scheme.

I have nothing against Fairbanks or the University of Alaska (...Fairbanks), and certainly city and university extension rivalries are old stories. But I do think the changing of team names to promote your university while ignoring the community you are in is pretty dumb. Fairbanks should be proud to have a university, and wouldn't it be more positive to promote yourself instead of continuing a pointless town feud?

No comments: