Monday, February 16, 2009

Baby Food Monday

Since I have to make food for K every day for daycare, I thought I'd try to do a baby food monday theme.  This makes sure I can actually write down what we're doing with Miss K for food and perhaps share some nice tips for toddler/baby food with the internets. 


The menu for daycare this week is...
Ham, Cheese and Avocado spread sandwich with steamed carrots

Snack/breakfast:  Blueberry multigrain pancakes with cranberry apple sauce

1) Raw Apple sauce -- 
Prep -- cut up as many apples as you have around and douse them in lemon juice (bottled works fine).  Put about half of the apples and a half cup of juice (I used cranberry) and blend.  Add apple pieces until you get your favorite applesauce consistency.  Taste.  Add cinnamon if you'd like.  
Storage -- You can set it in the fridge for about a week.  You can also freeze it in little ice cube trays for about two months.
Uses -- Use it in muffins, cereal, yogurt, as a spread, in a dessert, or in a lunch spread (below).
2) Steamed carrots -- 
Prep -- cut your carrots into baby-sized morsels (depends on baby).  Put into a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water (alternatively, use a steamer (some rice steamers come with veggie steamer attachments like mine).  Go ahead and throw in a few sprigs of herbs if you have some. Cover.  Cook for 12 mins or so for al dente carrots; 15 for mushy carrots for little eaters.  
Storage -- Cool, then spread over baking tray in your freezer shelf.  Move into zip top bags once they are frozen through.
Uses -- Use them like frozen veggies in stews and soups.  Thaw them and puree into tomato sauce to up the nutritional content.  Serve them tossed with a salad dressing, olive oil, or maybe some soy sauce.
3) No Brainer Sandwich Spread -- I'm always looking for ways to sneak more veggies into baby.  Here's something to try to use on your sandwiches.
Prep -- You need one mashed vegetable, one spready or shredded cheese, and one sweet saucy thing.  I used this time avocado, ricotta, and apple butter.  I know, sounds gross, but it's actually tasty.  Mix the veggie, cheese and sweet all together until you get a spread consistency.  Use only a little bit of sweet at first and then adjust to your taste.  
Uses -- Use it as a dip or as a sandwich spread -- HINT:  You can make a bunch of mini sandwiches in advance, then freeze.  I used ham, american cheese and this spread to make a tasty sandwich for myself, then another one that I froze into tiny 1 inch cubes of sandwich for baby.  Now, in the morning, I just have to throw the sandwich cubes in her lunchbox!

Anyways, I'll let you know what miss K thinks about the food next Monday, and I'll post the menu for next week.  Later! Lori

No comments: