Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Why White Christmas?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the horror and/or awkwardness of Billy Idol singing "White Christmas". Somehow it comes off very very creepy to me.

Seriously, why are people so determined to get to the Christmas so darn soon? Is the music really so good that we need to hear it for more than a week on end? Do we really need to be constantly reminded as consumers to do our "patriotic" holiday shopping?

Two weeks before Thanksgiving, I started to hear christmas tunes on the radio here in Anchorage. That's insane. And yes, call me a Grinch, but I see no need for a 24x7 holiday radio station. Bah, Humbug!!

Maybe what we need is to write some catchy Advent songs. Instead of "I'm dreaming of a white christmas", maybe "I'm anticipating an uneventful but satisfactory advent"?

No comments: