Thursday, December 16, 2004

GingerSnaps

Snapping out of Gingersnap Addiction
I am looking forward to the airplane ride to rid myself of my gingersnap addiction. It all started when "Nana's Sauerbraten" recipe required 17 gingersnaps for completion. I hesitated pulling the box down from midtown New Sagaya's aisle 8 (mexican food, cookies, chips). This is because I know that mass doesn't disappear in mass quantities, in this case translating to the first law of groceries: the food within boxes not used in the meal will ultimately require consumption by someone.

While the Sauerbraten was about a 6 on a normal scale (not one of our best recipes this week), I was reminded that gingersnaps were addictively tasty. Knowing that sugar is not my friend and already admitting I had a problem, after about 10 extra gingersnaps I hid the box at the very highest point in the "cabinet of junk food", which is where we hide things that we really like to eat but don't want to eat too much of. However, it was no use, like the sirens in greek plays, the gingersnaps call for me to eat them every time I pass the kitchen.

The worst part about this is that Frank does not like gingersnaps (he prefers Denali ice cream), so I can't depend on Frank to help me finish them before I hurt myself. The dog loves them, but I am not sure that gingersnaps are really good for him. So I am alone in my gingersnap torment.

So I hope to break the gingersnap's hold on me by flying 4000 miles to Chicago, where I hope to find a gingersnap-free zone.

No comments: