Thursday, December 09, 2004

Killer Tomatoes and more AK reflections

We are in a National Tomato Crisis! Hurricanes and bugs have wiped out enough of the tomato crop that prices have been skyrocketing. In AK, this is a big deal. I can confirm that not only are tomatoes expensive, but that places like Wendy's do not offer tomatoes any more due to the insane prices. When will it end???

AK reflections
Leaving the gym yesterday, I realized that I was not cold. It was 18 degrees outside. It's interesting how the body adapts.

As it's getting colder, I am seeing more wildlife -- the ravens fly through our backyard all day. They are HUGE birds! On the radio, I heard a story of a lady from the bush who was recounting the first time she had seen a plane. She saw it in the sky and did not understand what it was. Upon questioning the elder about it, the elder told her it was a giant raven that was trying to pick up children so she should run home as fast as possible! After seeing these ravens, I can see why people would think that.

Skis!
I now have waxed nordic skis, shoes, poles, and bindings! I have no idea how to use them yet! Can't wait for our ski lessons in January!

No comments: