Sunday, September 11, 2005

Running Report

So a running report is in order. As many of you know, I'm training for the Las Vegas Marathon on December fourth, and following the FIRST plan created by Furman University that was described in the Runner's World August issue.

This was week number 4. This week, I did the speed workout on the Treadmill (3x1600), a tempo run of 3 miles, and a trail race as well as a long run of 10 miles. This week, I felt pretty drained -- my change of diet to lots of veggies, protein, and less carbs has really taken a toll on my running enthusiasm. In fact, the 10 miler I ran yesterday from Kincaid Chalet to the Point (perhaps because it was the distance from Pluto to Uranus) felt like an 18 miler to me. But I completed it, although I walked significantly the last mile, which is all steep uphill. The good news is, the running can only get better from here, and the ten pounds I've lost on this diet will be ten pounds less that I will have to lug around 26.2 miles in December!

Next week is week #5, which will all take place in the next four days due to the fact that we were given driving tickets to Denali on Friday, which will take up a significant part of Thu/Fri/Sat. So I have four days, and three workouts to complete -- 10x400m speed workout, 5 miles tempo, and 14 miles long run -- plus how can I miss the punishment and torment that is the Tuesday night race series, this week at Chugiak High School?

I figure, it won't be too long before I'm forced to become a treadmill slave for many runs due to snowy weather, so I might as well get out there now and enjoy it!

P.S. Frank brought back pictures of Scotland from his trip -- I will try to get those posted on Shutterfly collections today sometime!

2 comments:

Dave Dorsey said...

Lori, there are lots of joggers in the winter time. They don't let the snow and ice slow them down. Keep up the training.

chaipo said...

Hi Dave --

Actually, it's only the long runs and intervals I might need to do inside, just because 1) long runs I need to simulate the warmer environment of LV (for hydration and nutritional planning) and 2) it's difficult to do speed intervals in the snow properly. But normal days, I will definitely be outside either running or skiing :).

Thanks!
Lori