Sunday, June 11, 2006

Rhubarb Madness!

In April, when the snow started to recede, revealing what had been hidden beneath it since November, I could see it sprouting. The dreaded rhubarb plants that we tried so hard to kill last year (and the year before), were already popping up along the east side of our house. In fact, I believe the rhubarb even divided in order to make me angry.

Eventhough I talk smack about it, there is something about rhubarb that I admire. I mean, the plant virtually grows itself -- I never water it -- and it has such a huge will to live that you can pull the plants out, dig a foot into the ground, and next spring you will STILL see shoots in the ground. On top of all of that, rhubarb's oxalic acid is also saving the ozone layer.

The real problem with rhubarb is, what can you possibly make with all that rhubarb? Every other week, I pick a few pounds of rhubarb and have to make something that tastes good. I've tried rhubarb crisp, rhubarb pie, rhubarb strawberry pie, but can't find anything that I want to make more than once.

Anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: