Saturday, February 12, 2005

Duct Tape Saves the Day!

On Thursday, we got 20 inches of snow. Although it was still snowing, it became increasingly apparent that the snow needed to be blown off the driveway before it got too deep. So, since Frank was not home yet, I decided to be handy and start the blower myself. I broke out the directions, and was impressed that I did actually get the snowblower to start on the first try. You can imagine, I was feeling very Alaskan and very handy. I am only done with two snowblower-widths of the driveway when Frank comes home. He was having trouble even getting into the driveway (snowplows won't come for another two days), and stopped the car to get out. I stopped the snowblower so we could start, and realized that the entire right contraption fell apart. I had not noticed, apparently, sometime when I was running the snowblower a "stopper" for the dowel rod that connects the two handles on the snowblower fell off (let's not talk about how amazing it is for an 800$ snowblower to lose any "thingy" and what that means for manufacturing). Of course, this made me and Frank mad -- Frank upset because I broke the snowblower, and I was upset that I could not find the silly little thingy. To make a long story short, Frank wound up (on my suggestion as well so I had a part in it also) using duct tape to make a stopper for the dowel rod so that we could make it through the driveway! Now we feel really Alaskan!

Here's a picture of Frank, a successful Alaskan snowblower:

Duct Tape Saves the DAY!

No comments: