Monday, September 24, 2007

The unbearable lightness of being fluffy

Let me start off by saying that I don't think of myself as a vain person when considering body image. Save for a few months here and there of either teenage panic or general upsetness about not being able to fit in a pair of jeans, I am more interested in the functional aspects of what my body can do -- like running, biking, skiing, etc.

So it really hit me when I looked in the mirror the other day. It's not like I'm suprised, but it's really odd to see myself expanding like a pregnant gal should and not immediately think about fluffiness. I'm still not at the point where I look more pregnant than fluffy to anyone else. However, when you add that to the fact that I have been advised not to exercise hard due to a regularly high exercising heart rate...it's just hard to deal with it all at the same time.

So what does Lori do when she can't run and needs a body image boost? That's right, go shopping :) In my quest to find cheap, nice-looking maternitywear, so far I have been horrified by the pickins in town. It's like having a nightmare where you go to an outlet store. Finally, I've settled on buying online and having them shipped -- images look so nice on the internet and I figure if I can just get them in the house, I can grow used to weird stretchy jeans with strange bands of material above the belt line. Otherwise, I can return them to the store (thanks modern world!)

I'll tell you how it goes :)

No comments: