Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Running Notes

Anne is running both the Flying Pig and Marine Corps marathon this year! Wish her luck!

After the Las Vegas Marathon, I have had trouble jump-starting my enthusiasm for running again. I think it has something to do with always running slow and running on the treadmill, which is not fun.

So, I am joining the "Exceed Women's Running Team" here in Anchorage. The idea is that many women will not do speed workouts on their own, so they organize a workout every Tuesday of drills.

It started yesterday at the Cambpell Creek Science Center, which is relatively near my house (in Anchorage, where it takes about 15-20 mins to get to the other side of town, practically everything to me feels relatively near). As I walked to the meeting point, there was a HUGE MOOSE in the trees. Luckily with so many people using the area, I didn't think it would be a problem. We had a fartlek run, basically running around cones in different "stacks" (for those of you who remember stacks in gym class). It was hard!

Anyways, I felt good about finishing, and think it will definitely be worth it. Who knows? Maybe I will get motiviated to do another marathon or triathlon soon.

4 comments:

wild gosling said...

the real question is: was the moose hiding in a cherry tree? and if so, was it wearing red nail polish?

chaipo said...

:) I did not see the nailpolish myself, but I heard it was blue -- many moose are experimenting with hiding in blueberry bushes this year...

chaipo said...

Ah, he got the ultramarathon guide in Runner's World too! We have multiple ultras here as well if he'd like to try them...

chaipo said...

Oh, and about the nailpolish color switch. In Anchorage the moose, as well as the people, are going through a housing shortage. There are not many cherry trees, and there are 1000 moose in the bowl, resulting in hundreds of moose in the same cherry tree, which was unacceptable to many moose.

Using blueberry bushes, of which there are many, can help alleviate this problem. Another choice would be salmon nailpolish, which would give the moose the ability to hide in the water (although raises the chance of being caught by a fly fisherman), and hiding in salmonberry bushes.

I'll pass on the clear nailpolish idea though.