Sunday, June 12, 2005

Eklutna Lake Hike

Last weekend, Frank and I went to Eklutna Lake. It's a lake in Eagle River which is made by a glacier (called "Eklutna Glacier", imagine that). I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I have seen -- who knew water in AK could be this color?

Here's a picture of the lake:

Eklutna Lake


Kids learning to fly a kite at the lake


People were fishing in the lake as well (what kind of fish do you think live in a glacial lake?)


Puppy decides to sit right in the water and take a drink.

After "ooh-ing and aah-ing" at the lakefront, Frank and I continued around the lakeside trail. It connects up to other trails, and there is even a campsite about 5 miles into the trail. You can actually see Eklutna glacier, but you have to hike in about 9 miles before you can see it.


The mountains at Eklutan were beautiful and rocky


Note the "impending doom" of the clouds. About 2 minutes before we went back to the car, it started raining here.


People getting ready to kayak


A nice place to sunbathe (if it was warmer)


Another lakeside trail shot


There was a convention of butterflies along the lakeside trail


More butterfly shots


Butterfly close-up

2 comments:

Newman said...

Beautiful pictures of the lake! I've never been out there and I've always wanted to go - Now, I really wish I had.

Maybe next time I'm in Alaska...

cheers and thanks for the great blog!

BTW - I've posted a link to this blog on http://blog.alaskagold.com/ . Cheers!

chaipo said...

Thanks Newmania!

If you do go, definitely bring a bike. We hiked some of the lakeside trail, but I wish I had had a good mountain bike to see the rest of the trail with.

Thanks!
Lori